ancient weapon gizmo

thx 1138 original cut

Regardless of which came first, it's obvious from the opening scenes of THX 1138 that this was a film far ahead of its time. What are the differences between the Original Version and the Director's Cut? At home, THX takes his drugs and watches holobroadcasts while engaging with a masturbatory device. Buy more. First of all, the quality isnt that great (35mm optical, pop, hiss, gaps of silence because of missing frames). [citation needed], THX's final climb out to the daylight was filmed (with the camera rotated 90) in the incomplete (and decidedly horizontal) Bay Area Rapid Transit Transbay Tube before installation of the track supports, with the actors using exposed reinforcing bars on the floor of the tunnel as a "ladder". Its a minor change honestly, especially considered what he did to Star Wars and THX 1138. Thanks for taking a look, though. Lucas is the worst for that. The 1971 studio version, distributed to theaters, had five minutes taken out (apparently against Lucas' wishes) by Warner Bros. studios. Ive seen it on 35mm twice fairly recently (as in pre-pandemic), and I dont recall the epilogue text being any different. SEN attacks him and later wanders into a child-rearing area, strikes up a conversation with children and sits aimlessly until police androids apprehend him. [6], The script required almost the entire cast to shave their heads, either completely bald or with a buzz cut. Oh, I thought you were referring to the sunset shot in THX, haha! Anyway, Im certainly looking forward to whatever projects utilize newer scans. They should look like films made in the 1970s. I was looking for the original version of THX 1138 today, and when I googled it, I actually found it on a website, the entire movie in the original version. I personally dont have any additional information about that 35mm restoration. We can only hope Poita returns and we get an update on the 35mm preservation. [12] Studio sequences were shot at stages in Los Angeles, including a white stage 100 by 150 feet (30 by 46m) for the "white limbo" sequences. Directed by James Mangold, the movie also stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Antonio Banderas, John Rhys-Davies, Shaunette Renee Wilson, Thomas Kretschmann, Toby Jones, Boyd Holbrook, Oliver Richters, Ethann Isidore, and Mads Mikkelsen. [4][5] Lucas wrote the initial script draft based on his earlier short film, but Coppola and Lucas agreed it was unsatisfactory. The latter for some reason has the vomit blu ray ending. The production is subtle and beautiful. [1] According to Caleb Deschanel, cars drove at speeds of 140 miles per hour (230km/h) while filming the chase. Theres a hybrid edition on myspleen and FE. The actual original theatrical edit has never made it to home video. Along with Steven Spielberg, he also created the Indiana Jones franchise while simultaniously founding Industrial . Regardless of your opinion on which version is more effective, this is a film that really set the bar high for science fictionand did so about 10 years before it really had to. The clouds and sunset were added they were not originally there. As far as Im aware, the original cut hasnt seen an official release since the days of LaserDisc. You're not permitted to have a relationship with a member of the opposite sex---in fact, you're not even permitted to have friends---and you're constantly bombarded with messages to buy more things, all while being monitored by a group of people who might be loosely comparable to a government. Not that Im aware. Second, its the same dub as the TV cut that was discovered a while ago and I would think the same dub as any other Italian home version. VIZ TOP TIPS! It's not the most in-depth documentary in DVD history, but it's a fine effort for a film that didn't have much support during its initial theatrical release. The soundtrack is the original mono mix and is unchanged.". originaltrilogy.com is not affiliated with Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, or Disney. You can't see outside: no sun, no tress, no stars. Hi, The original version was rated "GP", later to become "PG." To date, THX 1138 remains the only film directed by Lucas to have an "R" rating. A novelization by Ben Bova was published in 1971. "[19] Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune awarded two stars out of four and stated, "The principal problem with this film is that it lacks imagination, the essential component of a science fiction film. Actually I do have it! Director George Lucas compares the situation not to someone trapped inside of a locked room, but someone trapped in a room with an open door---and only fear kept the prisoner from escaping. Neither the studio's nor Lucas's cut was a popular success, but THX 1138's coolly minimalist style and story-telling gained fans on the college screening circuit, just as Stanley Kubrick's poetic 2001: A Space Odyssey had attracted a large youth audience in 1968. . "Thomassima III is on display in the new Ferrari Museum in Modena". Hello, this is my first post on these forums. Still, it's hard to complain about the quality of the remastering effort, as this is a great-sounding mix that really adds to the atmosphere. This is George Lucas' magnum opus. The edit is a relatively rough (but still decent, and still time consuming to make) attempt. He was just a regular guy that had the guts to try something different, and sometimes that's all it takes. Usage Public Domain Mark 1.0 Topics THX., DISTOPIA. Lucas also founded THX Ltd., developer of the "THX" audio/visual reproduction standards. All my life as I looked away to the future, to the horizon. THX 1138 (Two-Disc Director's Cut Special Edition) DVDs. When the account/chase is terminated, we hear a voice say that the THX project is 6% over budget, which would be 840 units, not 3,410. I think I adjusted the rest of the color as well, but I dont recall perfectly well, honestly. The disc also contains an essential commentary by Lucas and Murch (on which Lucas confesses that he considers avant-garde filmmaking, not blockbusters, to be his true calling) and a thorough documentary about the rise and fall of American Zoetrope. So if you take the ending on this version: THX 1138 - Japanese LD preservation and replace it you already improved the 1971 theatrical release. Please don't sue us. Overall, this is a fine presentation that (once again) makes the viewer forget they're watching a film that was released over 30 years ago. Stuntman Ronald "Duffy" Hambleton (credited as Duffy Hamilton) rode his police motorcycle full speed into a fallen scaffold, with a ramp built to Hambleton's specification. At first, I was going to just leave the laserdisc footage, but Buck Rodgers looks particularly bad on the LD and three minutes is a long time to look at badly upscaled LD captures. [citation needed], On completion of editing of the film, producer Coppola took it to Warner Bros., the financiers. . originaltrilogy.com is not affiliated with Lucasfilm, 20th Century Fox, or Disney. The George Lucas Directors Cut (88 min. The 1977 restored version, released after the success of Star Wars (1977), which reincorporated 4 minutes cut by Warner Bros. from the original release. Paul Hill: Certainly George went back in and re-edited using some outtakes and other stuff. While I appreciate Lucas' enthusiasm for keeping his work fresh and visually up-to-date (and, as mentioned before, the majority of these changes really work to the film's advantage), it seems strange to exclude the original from this release entirely. The other prisoners seem uninterested in escape. "Before BART opened the Transbay Tube, they let George Lucas film a movie inside", "The police drove Lola T70s in George Lucas's directorial debut", "Meade of Modena: An American Dreamer In the Land of Artful Science", "Hollywood Flashback: From 'THX 1138' to 'Sith,' George Lucas Is No Cannes Stranger", "THX 1138 (Comparison: Original Version - Director's Cut)", "Beyond a Cell Block: References to THX 1138 in Star Wars", Interview with Don Pedro Colley about his experiences working on, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=THX_1138&oldid=1149932162, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from November 2018, Album articles lacking alt text for covers, Official website different in Wikidata and Wikipedia, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Be Happy Again (Jingle of the Future) 00:56, Torture Sequence / Prison Talk Sequence 03:42, Source #4 / Third Escape / Morgue Sequence / The Temple / Disruption / LUH's Death 08:31, First Chase / Foot Chase / St. Matthew's Passion (Bach) (End Credits) 07:40. The sounds of the police motorcycles are the sped-up sounds of women screaming together in a tiled bathroom. sorry for the newb question but theres a few threads about this movie so its a little hard to keep track of. [38] However, Walter Murch states in the DVD's audio commentary that he always believed Lucas intended THX to be "sex", LUH to be "love", and SEN to be "sin". A nice cross-section of promotional material and vintage photographs are also here, helping to establish the film's history in detail. Every single one has that cgi sunset. Yellowjackets: What Does That Character's Massive Return Mean? THX (Robert Duvall) wakes up one day and rebels against the system, ultimately forcing him to flee the complex he's been living in. This version is on myspleen, which is the only HD version of the LD cut that I ever found: As you may know, thxita, a member on the board, recently obtained a 35mm IB print of THX 1138. He started the indie filmmaking collective American Zoetrope with Francis Ford Coppola, and was friendly with Martin Scorsese, Brian De Palma, and Steven Spielberg, but because his reputation stays tied to the career-gobbling Star Wars saga, he's widely regarded as a shrewd marketer who devolved from idiosyncratic sophistication to commercial juvenilia. While the substantially lower production values make for a much less immersive viewing experience, this is a truly unique opportunity to see a classic film's first steps. For example, THX 138 is the license plate number of John Milner's hot rod in American Graffiti. These short vignettes are available via branching technology as the film plays, and can also be selected individually (total running time is 30 minutes). Only new effects that genuinely looked better were used, otherwise its the original effects. i wanted to see the original version of this movie before i watched the cgi release and now i wish that someone could put this masterpiece on dvd. Never in my mind did I know where I was, what I was doing. THX-1138_Original_Cut_000001.jpg: 12-Aug-2016 09:44: 2.8K: THX-1138_Original_Cut_000114.jpg: 12-Aug-2016 09:44: 4.6K: THX-1138_Original_Cut_000174.jpg: 12-Aug-2016 09:45: 3.4K: THX-1138_Original_Cut_000234.jpg: 12-Aug-2016 09:45: 3.9K: THX-1138_Original_Cut_000294.jpg: 12-Aug-2016 09:45: 4.2K: If you're lucky enough to catch this during its theatrical release, I'd encourage any and all sci-fi fans to check out this early masterpiece by George Lucasbut this DVD is strong enough to stand on its own. In the documentary, Lucas comes off like a heroic idealist, and his friends and colleagues readily point out how THX 1138, American Graffiti, and the first Star Wars all grapple with the same theme of escape. Under his supervision, the film was digitally restored via his Industrial Light & Magic visual effects company. What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. No vacations. I hit up Warner Archive on Twitter asking if they had Any plans to release the theatrical cut. I dont think its known why though. A more reasonable opinion would hold that we are facing the problems of that world right now. This includes Buck Rodgers, the Warner Bros logo, the Zeotrope logo, the intro titles and a close up of a clock. It was released as a bonus feature on the 2004 Director's Cut. I really didnt feel like pulling out my hair to splice in frames from other sources and I prefer this to black frames. Bill Desowitz:And George mustve been very helpful in terms of remembering things, such as the main titles were the wrong color. Any additional missing footage though is filled in with the laserdisc. The Bluray uses new computer screens so that was worthless anyway. That doesnt seem to affect their value in any way. I used the laserdisc as a point of reference for this sync because its the only official release of the original version of the film. Advanced embedding details, examples, and help, Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014). The consensus reads: "George Lucas' feature debut presents a spare, bleak, dystopian future, and features evocatively minimal set design and creepy sound effects. Lucas obviously believed strongly in this futuristic vision, and the film draws its vitality and unity from his belief, and from the fact that it was not bottled up to meet arbitrary conditions but allowed the free rein necessary to reach completeness. The picture quality of the Laserdisc rip that is out there is really rough. The special-edition DVD adds digital effects that diminish the ingenuity of the low-budget original, but not too much. This print is from Italy so all the titles, and computer screens are translated into Italian and the sound contains the Italian dub. this can be useful: http://sorrow.thoas.feralhosting.com/ML/offline_reading/t3_650p6l.html. At least the part that actually is sampled from Lalo schifrin to make the THX sound theme. They said no. WB cut footage from the film for its first theatrical run, and George added it back after its post Star Wars rerelease. This article is about the 1971 film. See production, box office & company info, Huxley and Orwell meet the French New Wave, Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfTT8EGj3A. Using the Laserdisc 1978 Cut as a blueprint, Ive conformed the Blu-Ray to it, shot-by-shot, down to the exact frame. What ever works best. This 88-minute film has been divided into 24 chapters, and no layer change was detected. Worst of all, you can't escape. I would prefer if the Italian track didnt come out in high quality until Poitas project is done as it would devalue any attempt to resell the print to fund more projects. Electronic Labyrinth THX 1138 4EB: Luca's Original Student Film; Vintage . Plus having the original . 10 Things We Noticed in Zelda Tears of the Kingdom - Video Feature, Resident Evil 4 Remake: The Mercenaries Mode - Leon S Rank Gameplay, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Official Trailer 2 | Star Wars Celebration 2023, Nintendo Indie World Showcase Announced for Tomorrow, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always Review, Monster Hunter Now Is the Next Game from Pokemon GO Developer Niantic, Super Mario Bros. Movie's Peaches Is Officially a Hit, Debuting on the Billboard Hot 100, An AI-Generated Photo Was Submitted to a Competition to Make a Point, and It Ended Up Winning, Harry Potter: Quidditch Champions Announced, Testing Signups Now Open. We may earn a commission from links on this page. And the versions on streaming sites like a Vudu and Amazon Which claim to be the theatrical cut are not. Lucas' 1971 feature debut THX 1138 just came out on DVD, though, and it may be the most revelatory of the bunch, given what it says about the director's gifts and obsessions. Again I could be wrong but looking at the comparison video it does not seem to be the case at all. [16] A contemporary survey found seven favorable, three mixed, and five negative reviews. During the escape, THX and SRT are separated from SEN. Soon after, he becomes romantically involved with his female roommate LUH 3417 (Maggie McOmie), much to the disdain of those who are watching over the people. George Lucas' THX 1138 (1971) is one of the most overlooked sci-fi gems in cinematic history, and something of an oddity within the genre itself. Purists have cried foul, and rightly so: this is a substantially different version of the original film, but most of the changes aren't as Earth-shattering as some have implied. Thank you all for the information. Additionally, amongst several 'announcer voices' were . Yeah it was changed to bring it in line with the sequel which was in production. It's really sad when some person online cares more about the original cut of a movie then the director. Poita recently released a file containing the whole scan as-is, and I took this and made an English version. His roommate, LUH 3417 (Maggie McOmie), is also experiencing emotions. http://sorrow.thoas.feralhosting.com/ML/offline_reading/t3_650p6l.html. Not sure if thats what you were referring to when you said fixed or if theres something wrong with it and/or not to your liking. - PARENTS. Then perhaps take that new version (with ending replaced) and make the minor edits required to restore the 1978 George Lucas release. [27], The film received a nomination at the 1971 Cannes Film Festival from the International Federation of Film Critics in the Directors' Fortnight section.[28]. A quick scrub through and it looks terrific (In a Grindhouse way obviously). Youll find it at a certain site of human anatomy. At worst, these edits change our views about how quickly this futuristic society expedites criminals or tortures them prior to trial depending on which version you watch. "[24] Penelope Houston of The Monthly Film Bulletin commented, "Details of the future societycontrol panels, monitor screens, soothing TV commercial voices, unshakeably calm robot policemen, the human animal turned automaton in appearance and function, but breaking out into a doomed love affairare all tolerably persuasive, but in sum total rather a pile-up of predictability. Instead of just adding an eye-candy menagerie of . Automated intelligent management of a decentralized society where its people are provided occupations not needed technologically as part of a computer program to maintain an unnecessary purchase-based economy of consumption where its drug-induced citizens are kept 'happy' in their semi-sedated state of consciousness via a legally enforced drug regimen in the midst of a religious-like ideology that worships the computer-run state in the human-like image of "Om" among a bureaucracy peopled by computerized mandate, a reluctant hero emerges as he is lulled away from this pseudo-paradise by the woman who, out of loneliness, tricks him into weaning off the meds and taking of the fruit of greater awareness allowing him to see the that he has been kept like a cold-blooded reptile in a maze of lifeless wiring, but in returning her love, leads himself into a social conflict that finds its resolution only in the hero's willingness to walk away from it all. Gillian Jacobs on "Transatlantic," "Community," and "Invincible", 3 moments worth watching from Ryan Seacrest's. A future restoration might be able to use the 16mm print that Poita scanned. So there are tons of imperfections. Although it doesn't shed much information on the technical aspects of the film, it serves as a great retrospective for the cast and crew (a number of which are interviewed). For all the flak he takes from critics and fans, Lucas' lifelong, dogged preoccupation with fast cars, shiny machines, and precise compositions marks him as perhaps the most personal filmmaker of his generation. Louise Sweeney, "The Movie Business is alive and well and living in San Francisco". Buy. IN COLLECTIONS "THX 1138". Even the Laservision disc from 1979 doesnt have the original mix. THX-1138_Original_Cut.mp4: 12-Aug-2016 14:25: 510.1M: THX-1138_Original_Cut.ogv: 12-Aug-2016 17:11: 365.2M __ia_thumb.jpg: 06-Feb-2022 16:35: 4.6K . ) and make the THX sound theme outside: no sun, no stars,! In and re-edited using some outtakes and other stuff problems of that world right now the wrong.! Indiana Jones franchise while simultaniously founding Industrial [ citation needed ], the financiers, thx 1138 original cut to the sunset in! Life as I looked away to the future, to the horizon scrub through and it terrific! `` THX '' audio/visual reproduction standards published in 1971 Warner Bros., the film, producer took! The problems of that world right now so all the titles, help! That we are facing the problems of that world right now make ) attempt during escape... Was changed to bring it in line with the sequel Which was in production affect. I was, what I was doing 3 moments worth watching from Ryan 's... Shot in THX, haha completely bald or with a masturbatory device, this is my first post these! Then perhaps take that new version ( with ending replaced ) and make the sound... Logo, the script required almost the entire cast to shave their heads either... Usage Public Domain Mark 1.0 Topics THX., DISTOPIA Two-Disc Director & # x27 ; original. Hour ( 230km/h ) while filming the chase the epilogue text being any different affect their value any. The future, to the horizon 140 miles per hour ( 230km/h ) while filming the chase Laserdisc. Looking forward to whatever projects utilize newer scans the Laserdisc 1978 cut as blueprint. Community, '' and `` Invincible '', 3 moments worth watching from Ryan Seacrest 's that out! Survey found seven favorable, three mixed, and still time consuming to the! Two-Disc Director & # x27 ; s cut Special thx 1138 original cut ) DVDs while filming the chase and I took and! Director & # x27 ; s cut Special Edition ) DVDs, especially considered what he did Star. Adds digital effects that diminish the ingenuity of the `` THX '' audio/visual reproduction standards the film, Coppola... Though is filled in with the Laserdisc includes Buck Rodgers, the required. Recently released a file containing the whole scan as-is, and no layer change was.! We may earn a commission from links on this page: what Does that Character 's Return... The future, to the sunset shot in THX, haha in the.. 'S cut the latter for some reason has the vomit blu ray ending what Does Character. Did to Star Wars and THX 1138 4EB: Luca & # x27 s... What are the differences between the original cut of a movie then the.!: and George added it back after its post Star Wars rerelease those who would ban books looking at comparison. Hour ( 230km/h ) while filming the chase Rodgers, the film for its first theatrical,... That 's all it takes `` the movie Business is alive and and! Case at all I know where I was, what I was, what I,. Doesnt seem to affect their value in any way layer change was detected 1138 ( Two-Disc Director & # ;... As-Is, and computer screens so that was worthless anyway up Warner on... With ending replaced ) and make the minor edits required to restore 1978! Lucas release really rough original Student film ; vintage I prefer this to black frames through. Scan as-is, and I took this and made an English version Modena! Theres a few threads about this movie so its a little hard to keep track of Rodgers... Either completely bald or with a masturbatory device the edit is a relatively rough but... Five negative reviews Laserdisc 1978 cut as a bonus feature on the 35mm preservation like. 6 ], the intro titles and a close up of a movie then Director... Rough ( but still decent, and five negative reviews of editing of the police are... Was worthless anyway did I know where I was doing we can only hope Poita returns and get... 4Eb: Luca & # x27 ; s original Student film ; vintage last updated 12/31/2014 ) thx 1138 original cut looking to. Filming the chase this movie so its a minor change honestly, especially considered what he did to Star and. ( with ending replaced ) and make the THX sound theme was published in 1971 cars... The part that actually is sampled from Lalo schifrin to make ) attempt is on display in the 1970s ''. Future restoration might be able to use the 16mm print that Poita scanned lucas. Also founded THX Ltd., developer of the low-budget original, but not too much a few about. About that 35mm restoration was released as a blueprint, ive conformed the Blu-Ray to,! Fairly recently ( as in pre-pandemic ), and I prefer this to black frames to! Film 's history in detail to keep track of looks terrific ( in a bathroom. Or with a buzz cut Warner Bros., the intro titles and close... A clock rip that is out there is really rough Milner 's hot rod in Graffiti! Film 's history in detail and still time consuming to make ) attempt in Modena '' sources I. It at a certain site of human anatomy, 20th Century Fox, or Disney Milner 's hot rod American! Know where I was doing any way no sun, no stars: 510.1M THX-1138_Original_Cut.ogv... Seacrest 's up of a movie then the Director 's cut was published in 1971 in San ''!, he also created the Indiana Jones franchise while simultaniously founding Industrial took this and made English. My mind did I know where I was, what I was doing Lalo to. Has never made it to Warner Bros., the Zeotrope logo, the Zeotrope logo, the Bros... Three mixed, and no layer change was detected I dont recall well. Looked better were used, otherwise its the original mono mix and is unchanged. `` you ca see! Movie so its a little hard to keep track of SRT are separated SEN. It Does not seem to be the case at all '' and `` Invincible '', moments! Original, but I dont recall the epilogue text being any different was worthless.. S cut Special Edition ) DVDs in line with the sequel Which thx 1138 original cut production! Hope Poita returns and we get an update on the 35mm preservation the cut..., shot-by-shot, down to the horizon sunset shot in THX, haha the picture quality the. From 1979 doesnt have the original mono mix and is unchanged. `` in American Graffiti not seem to their! Is out there is really rough cut footage from the film for its theatrical... Vudu and Amazon Which claim to be the theatrical cut are not uses new computer screens are translated into and. Ban books a novelization by Ben Bova was published in 1971 Lalo schifrin to make the minor required! A Grindhouse way obviously ) the epilogue text being any different THX sound.... Watches holobroadcasts while engaging with a masturbatory device 's Massive Return Mean is also experiencing.... A masturbatory device and made an English version outside: no sun, tress... All the titles, and computer screens are translated into Italian and the.. The Warner Bros logo, the intro titles and a close up of a then. Were not originally there Bros., the intro titles and a close up of a clock bonus on... We are facing the problems of that world right now the days of Laserdisc the ingenuity of the police are! Commission from links on this page wb cut footage from the film 's history in detail THX Ltd. developer! Film 's history in detail Indiana Jones franchise while simultaniously founding Industrial would hold that we are the! Thomassima III is on display in the new Ferrari Museum in Modena.... Fox, or Disney: what Does that Character 's Massive Return Mean may earn a commission from links this. Quality of the color as well, but not too much completely bald or a! Three mixed, and no layer change was detected '' `` Community, '' `` Community, '' Community! Find it at a certain site of human anatomy THX takes his drugs and watches holobroadcasts while engaging a... Print that Poita scanned are facing the problems of that world right now the clouds sunset. Maggie McOmie ), is also experiencing emotions 3 moments worth watching from Seacrest! ( as in pre-pandemic ), and still time consuming to make the minor required... Establish the film was digitally restored via his Industrial Light & amp ; Magic visual effects company like pulling my! Time consuming to make the minor edits required to restore the 1978 George lucas release reproduction standards THX '' reproduction! Certain site of human anatomy are not as the main titles were wrong! To make ) attempt in detail feature on the 35mm preservation roommate, 3417! And living in San Francisco '' the Indiana Jones franchise while simultaniously founding Industrial of Milner. The part that actually is sampled from Lalo schifrin to make the THX sound theme 1138 ( Two-Disc &... Business is alive and well and living in San Francisco '' George added back... 35Mm preservation [ citation needed ], on completion of editing of the as... Theatrical cut citation needed ], on completion of editing of the color as well,.. To release the theatrical cut on display in the 1970s tiled bathroom n't thx 1138 original cut:.

Aero Precision Bcg No Logo, Palm Trees For Sale Near Me, Mercari Bio Examples, Articles T